Tuesday, January 16, 2024

A problem with society

 I live with heart on sleeve

authenticity unconstrained
empathy overflowing

On badges, on earrings, on necklaces,
On lanyards, on tattoos.. even on hair
I display more of me than many think appropriate
For if I hide too much I end up dead

Some people judge me harshly
some resent and frown
some blame and say

"if you conform you won't get all this negative attention you complain about"

they feel an instant dislike, a lightning dismissal

But are they mad at me
or mad at themselves?

for they see their inauthenticity reflected back to them
my nonconformity highlights their conformity
they see that i've cast off the chains they still have on
the restraints of society, tight around their body

while i, with my free expression, am all cast loose

it is a trade, for they move less visibly
they may not be free, but fitting in is valued
and they have a privilege - their conformity demands less acceptance less tolerance, just... Less..

It is a lie, and a deception, for in their invisibility, is it safety they really gain?
Or just a decrease in vulnerability?
Two sides of a coin, or maybe..
The same side described in different words

I don't do what I do to attract negative attention
It is not the goal
though people accuse me of it
It is not

I wear my authenticity
Because of I don't
I'll be dead

That's the plain truth
And if that increases my vulnerability
That is not a problem with me
It is a problem with society




No comments:

Wistful

Today I wish to be dead But that does not mean anything For the wish is fervent and constant Minute after minute Day after day It has moods ...